If you’ve been thinking of joining a book club, you’d be welcome to join WEN’s reading group . We meet in The Star and Anchor at 7.30pm. We’re a friendly bunch, made up of local people who like reading or want to get into reading regularly and enjoy talking about it.
If you have any questions, contact me, Lucy at email@example.com
- 25 Jan – The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
- 22 Feb – Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann
- 29 Mar – Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler – nb changed from Any Human Heart which we will now read in April
- 26 Apr – Any Human Heart by William Boyd
- 31 May – On Beauty by Zadie Smith
- 28 Jun – End of the Affair by Graham Greene
- 26 Jul – Closed Circle by Jonathan Coe
- 30 Aug – Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- Dec – no book
- 30 Nov – Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- 26 Oct – The Rotter’s Club by Jonathan Coe
- 28 Sep – The Latecomers by Anita Brookner
- 31 Aug – Middlemarch by George Eliot
- 27 Jul – Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
- 29 Jun – The Old Devils by Kingsley Amis
- 25 May – Shadow of the Window by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- 27 Apr – The Circle by David Eggers
- 23 Mar – Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym
- 24 Feb – Gossip from the Forest by Sara Maitland
- 27 Jan – Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirowsky
- 25 November – The Bees by Laline Paull
- 28 October – The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
- 30 September – Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
- 26 August – Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
- 29 July – Stone’s Fall by Iain Pears
- 24 June – Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
- 27 May – The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- 29 April – Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
- 25 March – Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
- 25 February – Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin
- 28 January – In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- 26 November – Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton
- 29 October – Stoner by John Williams
- 24 September – Wise Women by Angela Carter
- 27 August – Longbourn by Jo Baker
- 30 July – The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
- 17 June – trip to the Bush Theatre to see ‘Incognito’. No reading group on 25 June.
- 28 May – Book thief by Markus Zusak
- 30 April – Room of lost things by Stella Duffy
- 26 March – Bring a poem you love or loathe
- 26 February – The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
- 29 January – A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
- 4 December – Murder in Peking by Paul French
- 30 October – The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
- 25th September – The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds
- 28th August – The Education of Hyman Kaplan by Leo Rosten
- 31 July – The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist by Robert Tressell
- 19 June – Disgraced at the Bush Theatre.
- 29 May – Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters
- 24th April – A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks
- 27th March – Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D. H Lawrence
- 27th February – The Dinner by Herman Koch.
- 23rd January – The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- 6th December – Baghdad Sketches by Freya Stark at the Persian Palace (Nov & Dec meeting combined).
- 24th October – Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
- 26th September – The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Avey
- 29th August – Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
- 25th July – Dissolution by CJ Sansom
- 27th June – Birthday by Joe Penhall at the Royal Court Theatre
- 30th May – The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- 25th April – This is How it Ends by Kathleen MacMahon (copies with Sarah – title not yet published)
- 28th March – The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
- 29th February – Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
- 25th January – The Tenth Man by Graham Greene
- 7th December – Christmas Social at the Star and Anchor, Aunts aren’t Gentleman by PG Wodehouse
- 16th November – Jumpy by April de Angelis, play at the Royal Court, Jerwood Theatre downstairs.
- 26th October – Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – read our review on Ealing Today
- 28th September – Life by Keith Richards
- 31st August – Starter for Ten by David Nicholls
- 26th July – Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain/Samuel Clements – read our review at Ealing Today.
- 28th June – The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov (at the National) – Read our review at Ealing Today
- May – The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
- April – A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
- March – The Settler’s Cookbook by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown
- February – Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Saffran Foer – read our review at Ealing Today.
- December/January – ‘We are all made of glue’ by Marine Lewyca – read our review at Ealing Today
- November – ‘Oryx and Crake’ by Margaret Atwood – read our review at Ealing Today
- September – ‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven’ by Mitch Albom
- August – ‘The Bell’ by Iris Murdoch
- July – ‘If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things’ by Jon McGregor
- June -‘The Pregnant Widow’ by Martin Amis – read our review on Ealing Today
- May – ‘The Siege of Krishnapur’ by JG Farrell – read our review on Ealing Today
- April – ‘Saturday’ by Ian McEwan – read our review on Ealing Today.
- March – ‘We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver – read our review on Ealing Today.
- February – ‘Loving Frank’ by Nancy Horan- read our review on Ealing Today
- January – ‘Water for Elephants’ by Sara Gruen